Skip to main content

A close encounter of the stinky kind

Well, it was bound to happen, either here or in IL.  And I am surprised we made it this far.  But evidenced by last night's midnight run to Safeway for hydrogen peroxide, Scout met his first skunk :(.

The smell is so overpowering up close.  And the stronger smell at first isn't recognizable as skunk, which is why as I groggily let Scout in after his encounter.  And then very quickly sent him straight back out!  

His triple bath of hydrogen mix, followed up diluted vinegar, then shampoo, seems to have done the trick, although his nose is still a bit smelly.  Hard to get around those sensitive eyes.

My bedroom has a lingering odor despite my scrubbing the carpet with vinegar solution.  Once the kids wake up I'll move on to vacuuming and baking soda.  I don't think Scout touched anything in the room, but the smell seems to be hanging around since it was so new when he first walked in.

I guess I should have been paying closer attention.  Scout had barked his warning bark, and then kind of stopped and was walking around, but I could still hear some weird rustling sounds.  He was up on the main grass and I could see him from my bedroom.  He needed to go out as he had been nibbling a bone earlier in the day, and I guess it wasn't sitting well.  Why on earth do dogs and cats eat things that make them yak!

Paul is in NY, so he was able to watch my antics on our security camera, but I am sure he is happy not to be any closer!  The backyard is still really, really stinky.   I guess it just needs some more time.  It is actually supposed to rain this weekend (first time in what, 90+ days?) so hopefully that will help too.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jack doing some yard work

Jack is doing some patio cleaning work today!  Welcome to summer break!

First Day 4th Grade!

Orinda Country Cotillion

The Orinda Country  Cotillion  is a forty year community tradition sponsoring a series of seven evening dance classes and welcomes all seventh graders in Orinda.  The boys are girls are both broken into two sections, so every other dance is with the opposite boy group. Two of the dances are themed (a sock hop and country -western) and the rest are semi-formal.  Last night was the first dance in the seven dance series.  Kate and her friend Zoe had a great time.  They learned the fox trot and a line dance.  Seemed like fun!