Skip to main content

Do you speak Mandarin?

This is the question that my husband asked me the other day.  My husband. I was in the middle of painting the ceiling in the boys' bathroom.  He was standing at our front door after he had rung the doorbell.

It was a rather odd question for  my husband to ask, considering he knows my Mandarin consists of hello and thank you.

Turns out our neighbor's inlaws locked themselves out.  And the weather was miserable - 33 and flurries - not a great day to be stuck outside for too long.

We invited them in, offered them drinks/food, then tried to figure out what to do with them!  We called our neighbors and work to let them know, and had even called everyone we know who speaks Mandarin to make sure we had the right idea that they were locked out.

They spent about two hours here, and I entertained them by showing them all the pictures from our year abroad.  I used google translate to type in all the city names :).  No way I could understand a thing they were saying, but I could tell them where we had been in the EU and ME.

They sent us a lovely thank you plate of hot dumplings so it all worked out.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jack doing some yard work

Jack is doing some patio cleaning work today!  Welcome to summer break!

First Day 4th Grade!

Orinda Country Cotillion

The Orinda Country  Cotillion  is a forty year community tradition sponsoring a series of seven evening dance classes and welcomes all seventh graders in Orinda.  The boys are girls are both broken into two sections, so every other dance is with the opposite boy group. Two of the dances are themed (a sock hop and country -western) and the rest are semi-formal.  Last night was the first dance in the seven dance series.  Kate and her friend Zoe had a great time.  They learned the fox trot and a line dance.  Seemed like fun!