Skip to main content

Things I miss most about the States

Someone asked me the other day what I miss most about the States.  It is a hard and easy question.  Living in the UK is really rather easy - no language barrier, and, at least around here, so many new faces at school that no one feels too left out.  Here are some things I do miss, in no particular order...

  • Target. Danielle, this one is for you :).  I long for the days of easily wandering around a beautiful, bright, gigantic Target with a latte in my hand and pushing a brand new, pristine red cart.  You really can get anything you need at Target, and it is so easy to shop.  And with the wide isles, it is nearly like a playground for toddlers on rainy days.
  • Seeing faces I know.  After three months we do have some friends around here.  But many Southbank families live in other neighborhoods besides Hampstead, like Maida Vale or St. John's Wood (where Am. School in London is located, and Abbey Road if you are a Beatles fan.)  I enjoy bumping into friends while running errands, and it is finally starting to happen here.
  • The bus!  The walk to school is not that far, maybe 0.6 miles.  It is downhill to school, and uphill home.  But many days I have to go to school a second time, adding an additional 20 minutes of walk time.  My legs are tired!  But the positive side is the community of parents milling around at pickup time.  And Southbank is so laid back, that when I am at school for one child, I can almost always see and even pop in to say hello to everyone else without a second glance from the teachers.  It is very welcoming.  
  • Hot Lunch.  As you may know, Kate and Jack bought hot lunch Every Day when at Patterson.  Anjie does not like to make lunches.  Now I have three in school full-day, and no school kitchen.  I know many, many, many parents do this every day, but this is a huge change for me.  Every morning the same routine... get out the lunch boxes, pack lunch, try to remember to put in the drinks and utensils.  And then the revers on the way home, clean up and put away.  Totally not my favorite way to spend my morning.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Jack doing some yard work

Jack is doing some patio cleaning work today!  Welcome to summer break!

First Day 4th Grade!

Orinda Country Cotillion

The Orinda Country  Cotillion  is a forty year community tradition sponsoring a series of seven evening dance classes and welcomes all seventh graders in Orinda.  The boys are girls are both broken into two sections, so every other dance is with the opposite boy group. Two of the dances are themed (a sock hop and country -western) and the rest are semi-formal.  Last night was the first dance in the seven dance series.  Kate and her friend Zoe had a great time.  They learned the fox trot and a line dance.  Seemed like fun!